With so many factors to consider, choosing the right university accommodation can sometimes feel overwhelming. It’s never easy moving to a new city, or even to a new country, and that’s why it’s important to find a place that feels like home. Therefore, we’ve kept it simple. Here are the seven things you should consider when choosing your new home, and how to choose a student accommodation that will tick all your boxes.
1) Catering The age-old student question: to cater, or not to cater? For many students, this is the first part of deciding where to stay. Once you’ve chosen, you can forget about the rest, making it a brilliant way to start thinning down your options. Even if you aren’t the trained chef you’re worried your flatmates will be, don’t be afraid to get stuck in. There’s no shame in only knowing a couple of dishes. Learning is all part of the experience! IconInc offers several cooking events to provide all our residents with tips and guidance, from lessons with a private chef to private dining evenings. Of course, we also pride ourselves on offering the best of both worlds. Show off your mastery in our mega kitchen, all of which are equipped with wok burners and rice cookers, or stir up a storm in your personal kitchen in your apartment. Whatever you fancy, you can do it in style. Let us fuel your day with our complimentary breakfast served 7 days a week. Fill your boots with bagels, fresh pastries, fruit, cereals and yogurts. Hot drinks are also available 24/7 – you can choose from a selection of teas or fresh bean to cup coffee.
2) Aesthetics I know, I know, looks are not everything. But, at the same time, there’s an equal truth in “love at first site”. Choosing a place that fits your vibe is just as important as picking one that fits your needs. With many student cities finally beginning to make the transition from older (and in the winter, colder!) historical buildings to new-build studios, finding somewhere as next-level as you can feel like an impossible task. So, if you’re not as drawn in as you expected by look of the building, you can always put it aside for now; there’s no saying you can’t come back to it later! Don’t feel like you have to make compromises at the very beginning of your journey. Here at IconInc, we’ve put thought into every single touch as a part of our bid to make your student stay as comfortable as possible. Our state-of-the-art student living provides world-class facilities, which also look pretty damn good too!
3) Price The phrase “Getting your money’s worth” has never been exemplified better than in choosing your accommodation. For many students, this is the first time you have had to manage a budget, and as you probably expected, being a young person in a city centre is probably going to mean paying for more than was covered by Mum and Dad’s brief. Using online budget calculators can help to give you a much better idea of what it is that you are going to be paying for. Bills, rent and amenities all play a key role.
At IconInc, for example, there is no need to pay for any cheeky gym joining fees, monthly memberships, or even that bus ticket. With free, 24-hour access gyms on-site, we offer students the luxury living they’re studying for without the extra statement lines. There’s no need to factor these things into your budget - we’ve got you covered. Not only that, but all your bills are included - gas, electricity, water, superfast Wi-Fi the lot! Our payment model functions like an all-inclusive hotel, and we’re just as focused on providing that same leisurely experience to students, too.
4) Location One of the most common mistakes made by students when choosing their accommodation is wanting to simply be near the course building. Whilst this can certainly save time on a morning, whether you’re an early riser or someone who wakes up five minutes before the lecture start time, make sure your new home is as near to everything you need as possible! Every student's worst nightmare is a five-minute commute becoming 25 thanks to a shift in schedule!
Growing up in Leeds, I knew how much significance the Parkinson building held to university students, so being near the main campus was a key factor in selecting my accommodation. From the main building to the sports centre, make sure you know what you’re near- and how to get to the places you aren’t. IconInc’s central locations in Leeds, Lincoln and Liverpool put our students in walking distance of campuses, city centres and major bus routes while avoiding the busier sides of the city, making it perfect for the work/play lifestyle all students should enjoy! With us, you’ll never be far from the best bars, shops, and restaurants in your University city. That way, you have more time to focus on enjoying your university experience.
5) Lease length and flexibility International students and long-haul travellers, this one’s for you. It’s always important to check these details with the accommodation provider in advance. Whether it’s getting that visa sorted, or working out flights with luggage weight restrictions, making commitments to move in dates just doesn’t feel fair. We get it, and that’s why we’re dedicated to putting power back into the hands of our tenants. All IconInc locations offer flexible start dates. After the last 18 months, it’s safe to say that there’s never too much room for flexibility. And at IconInc, we’ve got you covered. Our equally flexible start dates run on either 10- or 12-month contracts, and we even offer summer rentals for those looking for a shorter tenancy over the summer months. Whatever your need, IconInc has got you. With January, summer & September start dates, IconInc is perfect for both under-graduates and post-grads looking for luxury student accommodation.
6) Amenities This is your time to find a place with that pool table you always wanted for Christmas. Somewhere that lets you play FIFA in exclusive shared lounges with your new mates. Somewhere that has a kitchen big enough to host your own bake off. When you’re choosing your accommodation, don’t be shy to pick somewhere based on what it offers. Your social life shouldn’t end after you’ve stepped out of the lecture hall; it should carry on at home, too! Whatever it is you’re after, don’t be scared to probe the provider, or even have a quick scroll through some student blogs. Of course, we don’t think you should have to dream about your ideal accommodation- Here At IconInc, we’ve made it a reality, and we’re confident our unrivalled facilities are sure to tick all your boxes.
7) Reputation This covers everything, and it’s a good time to ask yourself what it is that you want the most from your university experience. Is your accommodation notorious for always setting off the fire alarm? For when it was featured in The Tab? For its weekly flat Sunday roast competitions? Whatever you’ve heard, keep it in mind! Another aspect to consider is security. Looking into the area your accommodation is based in can also be a good indicator as to how concerned you might need to be. You deserve to feel as safe as possible. It’s already scary moving somewhere new! Does your building have CCTV, pin numbers, or key cards? Asking the right questions can help to keep yourself and your kit safe.
At the end of the day, you should feel confident that where you’re staying is the perfect environment for you, however involved you want to be with university life. Settling in is crucial! At IconInc, the 24/7 concierge team are always on hand to help answer any questions and help you settle in.
To find out more about luxury student accommodation in Leeds, Lincoln and Liverpool, visit www.iconinc.co.uk, call 0330 111 5200 or email email@example.com