The Ascent is super central, right on Renshaw Street, and in the heart of the independent Ropewalks district – which was crowned one of the top 20 hippest places in the UK just last year. You’ll struggle to find a better location to spend your student days in Liverpool!
Use our local guide to find out more about the nearest universities, shops, foodie spots, bars and things to do in the area.
The Ascent is super central, right on Renshaw Street, and in the heart of the independent Ropewalks district - which was crowned one of the top 20...
The closest university campuses
- University of Liverpool – just half a mile away from The Ascent, that’s a short 9 minute walk. And the university’s School of Medicine is only ever so slightly further (0.7 miles away).
- Liverpool John Moores University – the campus is practically on our doorstep, it’s a quick 4 minute walk or just 0.2 miles.
- Liverpool Institute for Performing Arts – only half a mile away or just 9 minutes on foot.
You’ll have your weekly shop done in no time at all with superstores and corner shops galore just foot steps away (that’s the beauty of being in the city centre). And of course there’s always the IconInc pantry if you’re after snacks, sweet treats and quick bits.
- Tesco Express – 2 minutes away on Mount Pleasant and open until 11pm every day.
- Sainsbury’s Local, Bold Street – a four minute walk down the street. Be savvy and get a Nectar card if you’re going to shop here.
- Matta’s International Food – you’ll find food from all over the world just 2 minutes away on Bold Street.
- SIDA Chinese and Oriental Supermarket – another Bold Street gem, small but stuffed full of goodies at great prices. Find out more about international supermarkets in Liverpool, here.
- Aldi, St John’s Lane – the best place nearby for a money saving shop. Keep your eye out for their super six deal on fresh fruit and veg.
- Tesco superstore, Hanover Street – only 6 minutes away and your go-to if you need a full size supermarket for big shops.
- Home Bargains, Bold Street – a student favourite, Home Bargains is great for affordable toiletries.
The people of Liverpool are a diverse bunch and so are our residents at The Ascent. In wider Liverpool, we owe this to the city's history as a major port. As people have settled here from all over the world, we're lucky that they've brought their national dishes with them.
If you’re sticking to the city centre then you’ll be absolutely fine on foot but there’s no end of transport options if you need to head further afield.
The Ascent is handy for buses with a stop on the opposite side of the street and lots more just along the road. And you’re spoilt for train stations too with Liverpool Central around the corner and Liverpool Lime Street station just five minutes away.
In a hurry? Don’t forget our 24/7 concierge is always here to call you a taxi too.
There’s so much choice nearby to The Ascent if you’re a bit of a foodie. Just two ticks away on Bold Street, there’s loads of independents and small chains, and only a few foot steps further the rest of the Ropewalks area boasts some awesome eats. Here are a few suggestions to get you started:
- Bundobust – super new to the area (but famous in Leeds and Manchester) and well worth a try. Think Indian street food with a twist, paired with the best craft beers around.
- Crust – a local favourite for pizza, right on bohemian Bold Street. They do five different crusts, cook the pizzas fresh every day in a wood-fired oven and the prices are really reasonable (win-win!).
- Mr Chilli – get your fill of authentic Chinese food here. If it’s your first visit go for the hot pot or go for the house speciality and have a laugh cooking it yourself on your table’s hotplate.
- Almost famous – sometimes all you want is a burger of epic proportions and a basket of fries – we get that! Almost Famous can sort you out.
- Il Forno – hands down the best Italian in Liverpool – they’ve won awards and everything. Their pasta dishes are positively dreamy and it’s family run – cute!
Places to drink
We’re sure you’ll find a favourite drinking spot in no time, whether you’re after a big night out or a chilled afternoon drink. There’s tonnes of bars and pubs in the city centre - start by checking these out:
- Crazy Pedro’s– the party never stops (ok, it does at 4am) at Crazy Pedro’s. Grab a frozen cocktail, play beer pong and enjoy the cheesy poptastic playlist.
- Red Door – if you’re looking for a classy cocktails, look no further.
- The Font – you haven’t lived until you’ve been here. It’s the ultimate student hang out and the cocktails start at £2.
- Buyers club – a cool, casual bar with a great atmosphere and an Insta-friendly garden.
- INK – get dressed up and dance the night away to RnB and old school Hip Hop.
Things to do
You’re in an amazing spot for event venues, galleries and gigs. Try the Bombed Out Church for live music, open air theatre and cinema, and Sunday markets. Check out Fact’s inspiring galleries and independent three-screen cinema, which shows mainstream releases alongside art-house movies. Kazimier Garden is a quirky gig spot and secret paradise off Seel Street.
Fancy a spot of vintage shopping? Cow is just around the corner from The Ascent. Everyman cinema is just up the road if you want to catch the latest films. And last, but certainly not least, the Baltic Triangle hosts some of the coolest festivals around, including Liverpool Sound City and Liverpool Psych Fest.
And we know it’s not the most exciting thing but if you ever need a doctor, the nearest practice is Ropewalks General Practice.
Like the sound of the local area? Be sure to take a look around inside The Ascent now. It’s got everything you need to ace student life – your very own luxury apartment and a whole bunch of stand-out facilities.